FAQs & Guides
- CHARGING :: My computer won't charge when plugged into the dock.
All classrooms/offices are set up the same. The docking stations in your rooms do not have a power button. At times, these need a reset, so unplugging is necessary for your computer to charge. Unplug the black circle cable (Dock Power), which is next to the Ethernet cable. Then plug it back in. See the Setup Guide for a picture of the dock and cables.
- MONITORS :: How do I get my laptop and monitor to be different screens?
If you wish to change the displays, see the Display Settings Guide to assist you. Windows + P is the easiest way to go between duplicate and extend for multiple screens.
- SCREEN OPTIONS :: I want to close my laptop and just use the monitors, but the screen goes blank.
See the Surface Power and Lid Options to change your laptop lid settings.
- SLEEP SETTING :: My computer times out too quickly. How do I change that?
See the Surface Power and Lid Options to change your battery/sleep settings.
- SURFACE TYPE :: What kind of computer do I have?
If you would like to purchase a case or need more information on your computer, type in PC Name in the search bar on the task bar. This will bring up the About screen and tell you more about your device. Almost all of our staff have either the Surface Laptop 4 or 5, in the 13.5" screen.
- VIRUS :: My computer shows a virus and I am getting a lot of pop-ups, what do I do?
One click of a pop-up can trigger many notifications. Don't worry, you don't actually have a virus. In Chrome, click the three dots next to your photo in the upper-right corner >> Settings >> Privacy and Security >> Site Settings >> Notifications
Review the list and block and/or remove any that you don't know. This will stop the notification pop-ups.
- WIFI :: I'm showing Connect, No Internet, when connected to the school network, how do I fix it?
You may need to update your NIC Card. Click here to download the latest version and install. Contact Karen if you need the Admin login. When installing, go through the prompts and choose the default settings.
- ZOOM :: I'm missing Zoom, how do I download?
You'll need to go to the Zoom Download Center. Choose Zoom Desktop Client. If prompted for an admin account, please contact Karen.
- 2-STEP :: How do I turn on 2-step verification?
The 2-step verification is required for all WLPS staff members. Follow the 2-Step Guide to assist in turning the feature on. Failure to do so will result in account lockout and you will need to contact Karen for a backup code. You must turn on the 2-step within one week of employment.
- DRIVE :: My Google Drive doesn't show up.
You may have been signed out. Locate Google Drive from your Start Menu and launch it. Sign in, if prompted. If this doesn't fix the issue, click on the Hidden Icons (the ^ next to the clock in the lower-right corner), and select the Google Drive icon to start the sync.
- RESETTING STAFF :: How do I reset my password?
For Network/Computer, Google, or PowerSchool contact Karen Sterzik for assistance. For Microsoft, you should be able to go through the reset process on your own. If you need assistance with Red Rover or eSuite, contact Carol Henry.
- RESETTING STUDENTS :: How do students reset their passwords?
Student network, Google, and PowerSchool accounts are now all tied together and managed through PowerSchool. Students are unable to change their usernames or passwords. Network accounts are only given to students enrolled in CTE courses. Network and PowerSchool usernames are the student ID numbers. To reset a student password, reach out to Karen or the main office. Once completed, the systems sync on the hour, so a new password will be generated at that time, meaning logins for the network, Google, and PowerSchool will once again be the same.
- WIFI PASSWORD :: My network/computer password changed and now I can't connect to wifi, help!
Your network and wifi are the same accounts. If only one changes, there is a conflict. See the Network Wifi Password Changes Guide to assist.
Phone/Alert System Help
- 9-1-1 :: How does 9-1-1 work on the phone system?
To call 911, simply dial 9-1-1. The 8 for an outside line is not required, but dialing 8-9-1-1 will also work. All of the phone programming has been completed, meaning if you dial 9-1-1 from any district phone, emergency services will have your room number and exact location in the building. The main office, principal, and any other designated staff members will also be alerted of your 911 call and be able to assist you.
- CELL PHONES :: When my mobile phone is connected to school wifi, I get security error messages when searching.
We use Securly and a certificate is required to know who you are and what access you are granted. You'll need to install the Securly Certificate on your phone. Follow the Wifi for Phones Guide to walk you through the process.
- DESKPHONE :: How do I use my deskphone?
You can find help guides here: 6930 (classroom/office phones with corded handset) or 6940 (admin/director phones with bluetooth handset). For WLPS, if you need to make an external call, you need to dial 8 to get an outside line, and then the number (ex. 87343471693).
- MITEL REVOLUTION :: What is the new alert system?
In 2022, WLPS implemented the Revolution alert/notification system. Currently, this system is used for a violent intruder alert, but may expand to other uses in the future. See the Mitel Revolution Alert System Guide to answer questions and add the app to your phone. Your WLPS Windows computers and desk phones are automatically configured. To receive these emergency alerts on your mobile phone, you will need to follow the instructions in the guide or reach out to Karen for assistance.
- PRINTERS FOR PERSONAL DEVICES :: I have my own laptop or am using a Chromebook. Can I still print?
Yes, you will have to install a Chrome Extension called PaperCut Mobility Print. Once installed, you will use your Network credentials to validate your account for each document you print.
- PRINTERS FOR SCHOOL DEVICES :: What printers can I print to?
There are two main printers in the district. [RicohPrinters on Print] are located at the High School and GLTW. [CanonPrinters on Print] are located at the Elementary School. Locate your Printers and Scanners in Settings, click on Add Device, and Install the desired printer. Select this printer in the Print Dialog box when you want to print. To collect your print job, swipe your badge at the printer. If your badge is not recognized, then you need to follow the onscreen instructions to associate your badge. This is done by typing in your Network credentials (same as your computer login). Typically, your username is first initial last name (ex. ksterzik). Print jobs stay in the queue for 24 hours and are then deleted.
- PASS/FAIL :: We use standards for report cards. How do I enter the pass/fail for students?
Pass/Fail grades are only used for K-3 students or any student 4-12 that does not receive letter grades. See the Pass/Fail instructions on how to enter.
- VIEW REPORT CARDS :: How do I view student report cards?
Within PowerTeacher, follow the instructions to View/Complete Student Report Cards.
- vCAST :: When using vCast, I can see the video on my laptop, but only get sound and a black screen on the Viewboard.
This is a Chrome setting that needs to be changed. Go to chrome://settings/system and deselect "use hardware acceleration when available". Then, relaunch Chrome. Your setting will stay for future use.
- YOUTUBE :: Can I show a YouTube video without the ads and video suggestions on the side?
Find the URL of your video, such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9TjuLb5k6s
Between the "watch" and "?", type in _popup so it looks like this https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=p9TjuLb5k6s